Can I Apply for PR while Studying in Canada?

PR while studying in Canada

Canada has always been the hotspot between the circles of the immigrants looking for better career growth opportunities and in case of international students, they want to move to Canada to access the world-renowned education system and pursue higher education.

While studying in Canada, international students are able to apply for Canada PR visa. Having a Canada PR allows its holder to live and work anywhere in the country for the duration of five years. Other than this Canada PR also gives its holder the following benefits:

  • No tax on income earned outside of Canada
  • Access to the subsidized education
  • Free healthcare system
  • After a certain amount of time, can apply for Canadian citizenship
  • Can avail the social security benefits
  • Protection under the Canadian law

What are the programs via which students can apply for Canada PR visa?

The federal government of Canada has over 60 immigration program that allows the immigrants to move to Canada. Now, in case an international student who is studying in an educational institution of Canada wants to move to the country, the Canadian government provides them with an immigration pathway via these following programs:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC): This is an immigration program that provides the pathway to the individuals who have worked in Canada for at least one year to immigrate permanently. Before the introduction of express entry program, candidates who have applied via the CEC have issued the ITAs based on the first-come, first served basis. There are also some major benefits of applying via the CEC and they are as follows:

  • For being able to apply under CEC, candidates are required to have a minimum of 1 year of Canadian work experience. Having this experience gives a major boost to the candidates CRS scores.
  • Since the documentation part under CEC is minimal, the application is processed more quickly with ideal cases taking around three to four months.
  • Another major benefit is that candidates do not need to show proof of funds as the candidates who have applied under the FSWC and FSTP are needed.

Now, for international students who have studied at an accredited post-secondary school on a full-time basis which have to be a minimum duration of 2 years at least. Another requirement is that the foreign student must have worked for at least 12 months in a full-time, skilled position. Work experience gathered after graduating is counted in but unpaid internship or co-op placement work experience is not counted.

Quebec Experience Class: This program provides a way to apply for a permanent residence visa and settle in the province of Quebec. Foreign students who have studied in Quebec and completed a CEGEP, Vocational, Bachelor’s or Master’s/Ph.D. level degree and who have shown language proficiency in the French language can apply under this program. The major benefit of this program is that in order to be eligible to apply under this program no work experience is needed.

Provincial Nomination Program: Every province (except Quebec) and territories in Canada has a special agreement with the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows them to nominate the skilled and capable immigrants for permanent residency in the respective province or territory. These programs are known as Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs). Based on the local labor market demands every province’s nomination program has different requirements and eligibility criteria. Candidates who are able to meet those requirements are awarded the provincial nomination.

Some of the provincial nomination programs that have streams for international students to apply for PR visa are as follows:

All the above-mentioned programs have a pathway for the foreign students who have graduated from a Canadian post-secondary program. Most of the PNPs require a job offer or work experience in the province where the degree was obtained. On successfully landing a provincial nomination, candidates are awarded 600 CRS points. These many points make sure that the candidates get the Invitation to Apply (ITA) via which they are able to apply for a permanent residence visa to the IRCC.

Now, as described above these categories requires having Canadian work experience. For students who want to work in Canada after studying, they must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

What is the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program?

Candidates who have graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and wants to stay in Canada temporarily to work. Length of the duration of post-graduation work permit depends on the length of the study program:

  • In case the study program is more than 8 months but less than 2 years then PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as the study program.
  • For the case in which the study program is more than 2 years or more then PGWP can be issued for 3 years.

For the scenario, where the candidate has completed more than one study program, than the PGWP may be issued for the combined duration of each program. In order for this, each of the study programs must be:

  • PGWP eligible and
  • At least 8 months in length

How the best immigration consultant – Nationwide Visas can help you?

After already setting the best success rate for Canada PR visa approval, Nationwide visas provide their registered clients with the top of the class customer services that is one of the best in the immigration industry. An ICCRC registered immigration firm with a team of 11+ years of experience, Nationwide visas is the best immigration when it comes to landing the Canada PR visa. To check your eligibility for Canada PR visa and to generate your free assessment report/form, register with Nationwide Visas by logging into or give us a missed call on 011-4617-7777.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Quick Enquiry Form

Our Immigration specialist will contact you shortly to help you out with the process.