Earlier this week, IRCC confirmed details of the opening of the 2020 Welcome Window for the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP).
The 2020 PGP will be open between October 13 at noon EDT and November 3 at noon EST. During this period, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be able to submit Sponsorship Interest Forms on the IRCC website. IRCC will then randomly select potential sponsors and invite them to apply.
IRCC will accept up to 10,000 applications for the 2020 PGP. It has announced that it will open another admission period in 2021 and accept up to 30,000 applications next year. If IRCC invites you after November 3, you will have 60 days to submit your completed sponsorship application.
Eligibility criteria for PGP Canada immigration program
The following is the minimum requirements to be eligible for this immigration program:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or Registered Indian under the Indian Act of Canada;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Reside in Canada;
- Exceed the necessary minimum income level
- Sign a commitment:
- to financially support sponsored family members for 20 years
- to repay any social assistance paid to sponsored family members for 20 years
- If the guarantor resides in Quebec, you must sign an additional undertaking with Quebec.
Sponsors must prove that they meet the income requirements by submitting notices of assessment to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you live in a province or territory outside of Quebec, you must show your income for the last 3 tax years, but the requirement is only 1 year if you live in Quebec.
You can also have your spouse or common-law partner as a co-signer to help you meet the income requirement, but they must also meet the eligibility criteria and meet the 20-year commitment period. The purpose of the undertaking is to ensure that you can provide for the needs of the sponsored family members.
How to calculate your family size for PGP immigration program 2020?
Family size is the number of people you will be financially responsible for.
To calculate your family size, please count:
- your spouse or common-law partner
- your dependent children (only include children under 22 and unmarried or living in a common-law relationship)
- only includes young children starting in the year of their birth
- dependent children of your spouse or partner
- any family member you and your co-signer (if applicable) have already sponsored and for whom you are still responsible
- the parents and grandparents you wish to sponsor and their dependents
- Dependent children who will not come to Canada with your parents or grandparents
- Your parents or your grandparents’ spouse or partner, even if they will not be coming to Canada
- The spouse separated from your parents or grandparents
What are the steps to apply under the PGP program?
Step 1: Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Complete a Sponsorship Interest Form on the IRCC website between October 13 and November 3.
Step 3: Wait and see if you are among the 10,000 applications drawn by IRCC.
Step 4: Submit a completed sponsorship application to IRCC within 60 days.